I cannot tell you how many times I have been ridiculed for liking this album. I’ll even go as far as to say this is not only one of my favorite Metallica albums, it’s one of my all-time favorite albums.
People accuse me of not being a true Metallica fan for the simple fact that I love this album. First of all, let me just say that if you are one of those people, you have no idea how much I love this band and how much they mean to me. They have helped me through the darkest times of my life. Secondly, this album is loved by MANY musicians and musical judges. The time, beat, and rhythm are complicated and the band plays together harmoniously. They are a tight-knit band and highly skilled! Thirdly, the reasons these people claim to not like it is because they say it doesn’t sound like their old stuff. So basically, they just don’t like change. These lyrics are very deep and soulful. James Hetfield wrote a lot about grief and the effects of watching his mother die from cancer. These songs are beautifully heavy. They did something different, they took a risk in doing so, wouldn’t a true fan commend them for such? Wouldn’t a true fan support them for baring their souls because when we allow emotion to bleed, isn’t that always the best? I think so, for the simple fact that it’s real. So for the “fans” who think this album is stupid. Why don’t you go tell James that his soulful lyrics that came straight from his heart are stupid?
Yes, this album is not “thrash metal,” but that guitar is still heavy! And the lyrics are extremely heavy, and those drums make me want to dance! They are still very much heavy metal, I mean look at the cover, it’s blood mixed with jizz in the shape of flames, what more do you want?
Personally, I think this album is one of their best. Plus, almost every single song on this album resonates with me.
I am in a funk, for lack of a better term, but I’m visiting with my old friend darkness, and my old friend, Metallica is going to see me through it. You might see some dark poetry come from this, at least I hope you will because this is how I heal. I am connecting with my inner James Hetfield! (Don’t judge me, we shared a moment! at the concert)
And for those of you who want to criticize me after reading this post, please don’t, because all it will do is make me feel sad for you, because you either aren’t intelligent enough to comprehend the raw, unadulterated, and irrevocable emotions these songs evoke, or you are just a miserable human being who feels the need to bully someone for liking something that you don’t. Lots of people may not like this album, maybe it’s not their cup of tea, and that’s perfectly fine, but they are not the ones putting me down for it, and the fact that you’re at the other end of this criticizing someone for what she likes, says a lot about your character. You might want to do some inner reflection and figure out why someone’s love of music has you so upset. Just sayin’
I’ll get off my soapbox now
For the rest of you, enjoy!!
Love & life lessons,
- Ain’t My Bitch – I love this song SOOOOOOO much!!
2. 2 x 4 – That guitar is sexy!!
3. The House That Jack Built – This is probably my least favorite song on the album, but it’s not bad by any means.
4. Until It Sleeps – This is my second favorite song on this album. A very close second. James wrote this song for his mom who was battling cancer at the time. Keep that in mind as you listen to it.
5. King Nothing – This song reminds me of an old boss who shall remain nameless.
6. Hero of the Day – My absolute favorite song on this album
7. Bleeding Me – Okay, maybe this one is a close second and Until It Sleeps is a third. It doesn’t really matter, they’re all gold.
8. Cure – I’m sure you’ve seen the correlation between the songs by now. I love the guitar riff in this one.
9. Poor Twisted Me – It’s all about the guitar for me
10. Wasting My Hate – Another one with amazing lyrics.
11. Mama Said – Oh, it’s hard for me to listen to this song without crying, especially after losing my mama. I love his voice! I don’t know what it is exactly, but he could sing me anything and I would listen in awe.
12. Thorn Within – These drums! Oh, I love these drums! This song makes me move!
13. Ronnie – This isn’t my favorite either. It’s just okay.
14. The Outlaw Torn – Crap! I forgot how much I love this one too. Okay, so there’s a very close top 4! Man, do I love this song, I love absolutely everything about it!