Week 16: The simple things in Life
How often do we take the simple things in life for granted? I’m sure the majority of us would say every day! It is the simple things though, that can brighten our day and make us smile. I’m going to take some time and give thanks for some of the simple things in life that bring me great joy!
- Afternoon coffee – Especially on a rainy day
- When my husband reaches over to hold my hand while he’s driving – He still gives me butterflies.
- Making a colleague smile. – When I know Deb, Jen, or Lisa is having a bad day I try to do something to bring a smile to their faces, whether it’s helping out with a task at work, or offering them some chocolate. I enjoy making their day a little brighter.
- Falling asleep to the sound of the rain. – It is just so soothing
- Receiving a card or a gift in the mail. – It brings out my inner child!
- Hearing the right song at the right moment!! – Music is such an important part of my life that I pretty much have my own soundtrack. These moments happen pretty often for me, but they are always special. There are so many songs that I could not name them all, but I’ll name a few of the people that come to mind when I hear these specific songs (Ashley – we have so many, Amanda, April, Neil, Jason C, Jason P, Lisa, Deb, mom, dad, Aunt Nancy, Brian, Eddie, Uncle Dick, and Caitlyn)
- A cold glass of mint iced tea on a hot summer’s day.
- Relaxing on the couch while watching Supernatural! – It is my favorite TV show, and it brightens my day whenever I watch it. While Sam and Dean are brothers, the bond they have reminds me a lot of my friendship with Marcia. The silly banter, the quick wit and humor, and the sarcasm! It always makes me smile! I miss that girl more than she knows! Love you, Mar Mar!
- Saying the same thing simultaneously with a friend. – It always brings a smile to our faces, and depending on the circumstance, laughter!
- Speaking of laughter… Laughing!!! – I’m sure by now you have all figured out that I love to laugh. It is my favorite thing in the whole world, to laugh! Sharing laughter with loved ones, I just don’t think there is a greater feeling!
- The pull through parking spot. – I love when this happens. I will always take the opportunity to not have to back up!
- People watching. – This is one of mine and April’s favorite things to do. It’s nice to watch people’s reactions, and see couple’s holding hands, a father playing with his child, or a person smacking their forehead and mumbling to themselves. It’s all good!
- The smell right before it rains. – I’m not really sure how to describe it, I guess the best way is it smells clean. It’s so distinct, and it brings me comfort. I wish I could bottle it, it’s one of my favorite scents, along with food on the grill, a baby, coconut, and Christmas Eve by Yankee Candle.
- A long, hot shower after a hard workout!
- Relaxing in a hot tub.
- A cup of hot cocoa on a cold winter’s evening.
- The feeling you get when an idea works! – Especially after you have tried and failed a few times.
- Reminiscing about old times with family and friends! – Especially my brother, he & I have so many fond memories. In fact, when I think back to my childhood, he is a part of almost all of my favorite memories. I’m so glad that he and I are so close!
- Receiving an unexpected compliment – A stranger telling me I’m pretty, or a coworker complimenting my outfit, it just instantly brightens my day!
- An unexpected phone call or text from a friend or relative. (My brother, Brandon, Jen T., Amanda, Caitlyn, grandma, and Cathryn, just to name a few. I don’t talk to them as often as I would like, so it’s always nice when they call or text me out of the blue!) – I need to make more of an effort to call and text them.
- Feeling the sun on my face after a long time without it! – This happens a lot in Garrett County. We have numerous days in a row where it either rains or snows. No wonder I get the winter blues, we don’t see the sun till June!!
- A cold beer or a glass of wine after a long, hard day at work.
- Getting pulled into a good book. – I love it when I can relate to a character, or put myself in a situation! These books are what inspire me to write, and the author’s that write them are phenomenal. I have too many favorites to name them all, but one of my favorites is Stephen King.
There are so many of life’s simple pleasure’s that I love, I could write page after page. I’m curious friends, what simple things in life do you enjoy? Talk to me!
Love and life lesson,